I just learned that Windows XP has a built-in VPN (accessible via PPTP remotely).
1. Windows Control Panel -> Network Connections
2. New Connection Wizard -> Next.
3. Setup an advanced connection -> Next.
4. Accept Incoming Connections -> Next.
5. (leave all the parallel ports unchecked) -> Next.
6. Allow Virtual Private Connections -> Next.
7. Choose whichever users you want to access the VPN.
One small detail: you have to have a router/firewall which allows incoming VPN (I understand it's a different packet type). Mine does, so it's easy. The alternative is to leave your computer DMZ'd but I don't recommend it.
Also, XP allows only one incoming VPN connection at a time (probably similar to remote desktop on XP Pro). If you want something better you'll have to install a real VPN or use one of the Linux-supported ones.
Now this allows such things as playing your iTunes library from work (albeit without access to your corporate network). And printing and filesharing remotely, which are all nice.
Post a Comment